What to do if you’ve been switched by mistake

If you get an unexpected final bill from your energy supply company or you receive a welcome letter from another energy supplier, your supply might have been switched without your agreement. Luckily it rarely happens, however, it could happen if:

  • another supply company made an error – for example by confusing your address/CUPS number with someone else’s
  • you were misled by a salesperson who then changed your supply without your permission

We take data security very seriously at Energy Nordic and ensure we have recorded written or verbal permission from any contract holder before making any changes to a contract, but this might not always be the case with other companies.

Has your electricity or gas company been changed without your permission?

Whilst you cannot chose your distributor, energy consumers in Spain have the right to choose their energy supply company, (read here for more information about how your distributor and supply company differ.). But it is important that electricity supply companies (also referred to as ‘marketers‘) meet the contracting requirements established by law – that is, full consent from any title holder of an electricity contract before another company may take management of their supply. When this does not happen, there are several ways to file a claim. We detail them here:

It has been proven that, on occasions, companies do not respect the contracting procedure and do not have the consent of the clients to make changes in supplier.

The ways to make a claim:

  1. First of all, if you are affected by these practices, you must file your claims with the marketer who made the change without your consent. In the event that the claim is not resolved and if the marketer that supplied you is a reference or last-resort marketer, you can subsequently claim before the corresponding body of the Autonomous Communities. The details of the different ways of claiming can be found here in the case of electricity contract transfer without authorisation and here in the case of gas.
  2. Another option is to go to the Municipal Consumer Services Offices (OMICs) and the Consumer and User Organizations.
  3. But in addition to the above possibilities, you can file a complaint with the CNMC.

An erroneous transfer is when you’re switched to a new energy supplier by mistake.

The good news is that problems switching energy supplier are fairly uncommon.

However, if you have experienced being switched from one energy company to another without your consent, the team at Energy Nordic can help you through this process. Please do not hesitate to send us a message, explaining your experience with a change of supplier without your consent.

Send us an email at [email protected] or you are welcome to call or visit us anytime between Monday – Friday on +34 900 696 820 from 9am – 5pm.

Leave a Reply

My Page

Login here - User access
If you want to consult bills before September 2020, contact us through: